Thursday 17 July 2014

At home eyelash extensions

18.02pm

Hellooo

I have had eyelash extensions twice before, put in by my aunt at home, who had no special training. So I thought, if she can do it, I'm sure I can. I equipped myself with knowledge from YouTube and a reassuring video told me that I would definitely lose my eyesight. So with that good news, I went onto eBay and placed individual eyelashes and a random semi permanent eyelash glue into my hypothetical shopping basket.
Was I about to pay for a glue that would glue my eyes shut preventing me from seeing my future grandchildren? That very thought had sent me back online, to watch yet more home tutorials. One video suggested using an 'Ardell' branded semi permanent eyelash adhesive as it is very safe and effective. So I placed my orders and eagerly awaited their arrival. 
I sat down today in front of the window with my three times magnified mirror, sterilised tweezers, a piece of foil with a drop of glue and some individual eyelash hairs on a tissue and began the process. If you have the time and patience I would 100% recommend doing your own eyelash extensions at home. It is so much easier than it sounds, the glue does not irritate your eyes whatsoever and the end results are amazing. My sister who is usually sceptical about everything I do, was amazed and begged me to do hers too. I would especially recommend this in the summer or on holiday where you want to enjoy the sun and not wear much make-up. 

Purchased items:

  • 4 x Wonder lash faux mink semi permanent individual eyelash extensions  from eBay £4.99 each (but I got one for free). The people I bought mine from had a "buy three get one free offer" so I got one pot for free. These four pots will last me for years, I bought two C shape pots in 10 and 12mm and two B shape pots in 10 and 12mm (the supplier makes choosing your lashes easy so do not worry if it sounds complicated here).
  • 1 x Ardell LashTite individual eyelash adhesive semi permanent (in clear rather than black) £3.85. This will also last you a very long time as I used only 4 drops for both eyes. 

Method: 

  • You'll need some cotton buds and Vaseline to coat your bottom eyelashes and prevent the extensions sticking to these.
  • You can sterilise your tweezers with rubbing alcohol but I used antibacterial hand wash and boiling water ( I did this the night before). 
  • Use the tweezers to place some eyelashes onto a tissue. I used the C shaped eyelashes, the 12mm ones for the outer corners to give a wispy look and the 10mm ones for the rest of the lash line. 
  • Place one drop of glue onto a piece of foil and use the tweezers to dip the hair in a tiny amount of glue and stick them as close to the lash line as possible. The glue dries almost instantly so the hair will stick straight away. You can use your tweezers to shape the hairs and move them so they stand correctly. 
  • I started from the outer corner and worked inwards, filling in the gaps until I got my desired look. 
  • At one point, I dropped an eyelash with glue on the end of it into my eye. I expected pain, I expected a visit to the accident and emergency department I even expected that I would lose my eyesight. Surprisingly, however, I felt absolutely nothing. The glue is ophthalmologist and dermatologist tested, but obviously don't go squirting it into your eyes because that could (or will definitely) be dangerous.
After-care: 

  1. Do not use oil based cleansers or make-up on your lashes.
  2. Do not rub your eyes.
  3. Try not to get your eyelashes wet for about 48 hours, you can clean your eyes gently with a make-up removing wipe, but make sure that it is oil free.
This is a long-term solution to those of you who are not blessed with thick long eyelashes. Given that you take good care of them, they should last about 2-4 weeks, I'll keep you guys updated on how I'm finding them and I'll post photos soon on instagram. A disclaimer however, is that the eyes are a sensitive area and so you should always be careful around there, make sure you do your research and buy the correct glue. If anyone has a questions feel free to contact me on the comments below or through my email. Hope this helped :)

Peace be upon you
Merutopia xo

No comments:

Post a Comment